Carson Archives

Here you will find information on the ancestors and descendents of Chester Carson and Kathleen Rogers. Articles are listed newest to oldest. Start by reading the oldest articles first, then work your way back to the newest. I have also included links to their Online Family Trees. Please provide your own stories, additions, corrections, or feedback by clicking on the word "Comments" at the end of any article, or by e-mailing me. Enjoy!

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Step One... Inspiration.

Where does an idea come from? How do you take a concept and put it on canvas? When are you ever satisfied enough to say that it's done? These are a few of the questions that I recently asked Patti and Kim.

For Patti, inspiration comes from all around her. "I’m inspired many ways; I see a reflection on a vase, water or sunset and wonder “Can I capture that?” I see someone with an interesting face and wonder “Can I paint that expression?”"

Sometimes, when she gets an image in her head, it's not of matter of not being able to get it out, it's a matter of how to get it out. "This image begins to obsess me until I find a way to implement it within a painting. I paint it in my head; sketch it on paper, then finally on the canvas."

Once inspired, Patti does not discard her ideas, she stores them. "I have a folder of sketches and photos of things and people I want to do and constantly fear I’m running out of time to complete. Upper most on my list right now is a painting of Tim", her husband, "playing his guitar. It’s the one I want to enter in art shows this fall but one I haven’t started yet."

Sometimes your inspiration is tailored to your limitations, such as the lack of time. Kim says, "Recently, high contrast and bright colors are inspiring me. Portraits take a long time to do and when I have the time that is my preference. Since my painting time is limited, I need instant gratification to keep me interested so I select subjects that I can finish in a setting or two at the most."


Above: A portrait by Patti

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home