Carson Archives

Here you will find information on the ancestors and descendents of Chester Carson and Kathleen Rogers. Articles are listed newest to oldest. Start by reading the oldest articles first, then work your way back to the newest. I have also included links to their Online Family Trees. Please provide your own stories, additions, corrections, or feedback by clicking on the word "Comments" at the end of any article, or by e-mailing me. Enjoy!

Friday, July 08, 2005

Binges, Balance, and Discovery

Up early, grab a muffin and cup of coffee, off to the office, fight traffic to get home late, dinner, pay bills, return phone calls, check the latest Carson Archives updates... How in the world do Patti and Kim find time or the energy to paint?

Kim agrees that her daily schedule is already very full. "School and work get most of my attention, so painting happens when I have free unexhausted time." Eventually, though, that pend up energy has to be released. "I go on painting binges... I paint the most when I’m on a school break."

With the demands of a growing family, Patti had to carefully prioritize her time, and that meant she had little for painting. "I went a long time between when I first started painting to where I am now. About twenty years to be exact, as I was busy having babies and learning a trade for a “real job”." Her family is now grown, with children of their own, and she still has that "real job" that she trained for. But she has been able to squeeze in more artwork. "I paint every chance I can squeeze in. Sometimes I paint more because of commissioned work but even without that, I would paint often, just because I have to."

Now, Patti sees Kim trying to balance her developing life of work and school. But, as her classmate, show partner, and personal critic, Patti is also interested in when Kim has free time. Kim describes it this way: "Most parents are happy that their children are seeking a higher education; my Mother is in conflict, she goes from, “Are you getting good grades? Are you learning?” to “You know these classes are taking my painting buddy away from me! When are they over?”"


Above: A painting by Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home