Carson Archives

Here you will find information on the ancestors and descendents of Chester Carson and Kathleen Rogers. Articles are listed newest to oldest. Start by reading the oldest articles first, then work your way back to the newest. I have also included links to their Online Family Trees. Please provide your own stories, additions, corrections, or feedback by clicking on the word "Comments" at the end of any article, or by e-mailing me. Enjoy!

Monday, March 06, 2006

Perthenia, Perthena, or Berthinia Truax?

Perthenia, or Perthena, or Berthinia? I've seen the name for Benjamin's wife listed each of these ways. My inclination is to use Pertenia, and keep the other spellings as alternatives for searching, but only because she is more frequently found this way, not because I know it to be more accurate.

She lived only 40 years, and we know almost nothing about her daily life. All that we know about Perthinia can be listed very briefly:

As already reported, Perthinia was born March 16, 1741/42 in Burlington County, New Jersey. Her parents were William and Hannah Pittman. I have found Hannah's maiden name listed three different ways, and without some source documentation (a birth certificate, marriage certificate, family Bible, will, etc) I have no way to know which is correct. The three variations that I have found are: Hannah Kimble, Hannah Campbell, and Hannah Kimble Loker.

Perthenia married Benjamin Truax, Sr. on January 26, 1761, in Monmouth County, New Jersey.

She brought at least eight children into the world, then died October 31, 1781.

Next time, we'll begin looking at the parents of her husband, Benjamin Truax.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi,
Perthenia Truax was how her name was spelled in the family bible by my Great Grandmother Sims.

6:49 AM, September 27, 2009  
Blogger Steve said...

N,

Thanks for providing information on the name in your grandmother's Bible.

I hope that in the future you will provide information on who you are so we can communicate and exchange information -- or contact me directly. My email address is shown on every blog page at the end of the left hand column.

Steve

3:52 PM, September 29, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home