Carson Archives

Here you will find information on the ancestors and descendents of Chester Carson and Kathleen Rogers. Articles are listed newest to oldest. Start by reading the oldest articles first, then work your way back to the newest. I have also included links to their Online Family Trees. Please provide your own stories, additions, corrections, or feedback by clicking on the word "Comments" at the end of any article, or by e-mailing me. Enjoy!

Friday, March 03, 2006

Benjamin Truax (Sr's) Will

Benjamin apparently knew that he was frail when he made up his Will on April 7, 1801; for he died a short 33 days later.

Benjamin probably wrote his Will at his home, as it was signed in Bedford County, PA. The name signed on the will is "Benjamin Trewex, Senior". Since the will was signed with only a B, plus a mark; and since the will contains a large number of mispellings, Benjamin may not have been proficient in his writing skills. This may explain the odd spelling of his name.

In the will, Benjamin names his sons, Samuel, Benjamin and William as well as daughters Rebecka and Pethethenian (sic). His son Benjamin and his son-in law Aaron Cleavenger were appointed executors.

He split his land and gave half to Samuel, and half to Benjamin. To his other son, and his daughters, he provided funds.

Below is a transcript of the will.

LAST WILL OF BENJAMIN TREWEX, SENIOR

In the name of the Lord God, I, Benjamin Trewex, Sen'r being at this time in sound sence, memory and reason, do macke this my last Will and Testament as follows, viz:

First, I commit my body to the earth and my spirit to the Lord that gave it after which I appint my funeral expence with every just debt to be paid. Next I give and bequeath unto my beloved sons Samuel and Benjamin all my mantion hous and plantation with all the appurtenances thereunto beloning to said land that is to say agreeable to a line I have fixed to begin the division. Line two rods below the Watering Place, known in the family by that name, and is within th ling meado fence then westward straight to a pair of bars in a fince running southward thence along said fence whch is the line through the said field so to continue the cors on thruogh a meado when through the meadow a space from th'meado fince then turning with that meado fince eastward continuing that course out to the line of said plantation the begining at said Wattring Place runing streight northward to my north line across the long gealde. The part eastward of the Division line shall be Samuel's part and west of said line shall be Benjamin's part also I give and bequeath unto my son Benjamin a certain feald that lieth out of the line of above mentioned partition called the sawmill feald over the beside his part of the divided land. Next I give and bequeath unto my beloved son William the sum of one hundred pounds in money also I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Rebecka the full sum of one hundred pounds in money also I give and bequeath unto my beloved daughter Peththeana the full sum of one hundred pounds in money and I do hereby order and appoint that as soon as conveniently can be after my deceas all and That all and everyof my movable effects and also my land in Belfast township be exposed to publick sale and to macke the moneys to appointed to be apaid and when the before mentioned demands and legacies are all discharged if any over plush money remains it shall then be eackqueally divided amongs all of my sons and daughters and I do hereby appoint my son Benjamin and Aaron Cleavenger my son-in-law to be my executors of this my last will and testament mad and signed this seventh day of April in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and one as witness my and and seal.

Witness present
R. M. runyan
Jacob Swisher

his
Benjamin Trewex

(a handwritten letter "B")
Mark

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home